25 Oct 2013

Sreepur village: one glimpse and few thoughts

1. What am I doing in a village?
 I have recently left my job in esho and joined Sreepur team. They told me, as a linguist I’ll be responsible for Sreepur children’s English language development. …well…. I gotta admit my language skill  is confusing (I’m a lefty! for me the whole idea of right to left seems wrong!:( ) … so I guess I will  try to learn from the children instead of teaching them.

2. Not so warm welcome!
I have recently finished my introduction phase and few staff I met has already warned me about Sreepur’s internal politics. They warned me about gossiping, and inside competitions amongst staff members. It’s sad how some people always tend to see the glass half empty!

3. The silver lining.
The bright side is Sreepur children are very kind hearted and they welcomed me with open wide arms. Sometimes I sit quietly in the preschool and wait till the end to receive a group hug from all of them-and it’s the best feeling in the whole world!


4. Pat- living inspiration
My over sea’s director, Pat kerr is a wonderful lady. Many people compare her to Mother Teresa; kids in the village call her “pat mom”. And for me….well, let’s say, she is the only staff in Sreepur village who is always nice to me. Some might say- she is English, she will act nice even if she is firing you…and I’m fine with that... you know why? Cause, during difficult time appreciation means a lot more than accomplishment.

5. Hey look! I’m an alien!
I love my job in Sreepur.Infact, I feel blessed that I’m doing this job. Teaching kids is something I’m good at and I enjoy every moment of it. But the village gets quiet daunting after 5pm. As kids get busy with their everyday shenanigans and mothers doing their regular chores, I find it very difficult to “fit in”.i often spend times talking to myself or making list of the things I’ll be doing once I’m in Dhaka. *Sigh*.

6. Anyway, who cares?
I’m still learning about my duties, and getting familiar with every face of Sreepur. Depression?  Mood swings? I think I’m strong enough to handle them.
Right now I’m eagerly waiting to see what my luck may bring to me.

2 comments:

Post a Comment

share your thoughts with me.I read and reply every massage :)